Sunday 26 November 2023

Letting you go

I can honestly say I never saw this day coming
Yes it was never perfect but it was what I had and what I was happy with
There were some pretty low times between us but even after that we were OK
When I got the news of my health and it being such a serious diagnosis I immediately shut down
I knew you couldn’t deal with it
I knew I had to hold myself up 
You seemed to just disappear as each day passed by
The pain of losing a part of my body was grief I can never explain
Yes it was taking away the tumour but it was my body and something I still to this day can’t quite process 

There were such dark times 
And you had always been my light
But you were nowhere to be seen
You just vanished
The nights got lonelier as you spent them out with people who you’d known such a short time 
Over me, who you’d been with almost 8 years
I could see the deadness in your eyes 
I could not convince myself of any other excuse other than the burning brightness of you had let me go

It’s such a hard pill to swallow
Realising your whole life is changing 
Without your control
Without your fault
No blame
Just pain and surgery and treatment that strips away all you ever had taking you to the core in the hope of ridding you of a disease that will surely take with it, your life

But with all this as well?
No passion or compassion
Just anger and disgust 
Boaring into me as I sat there in pain from chemo 
No energy to fight for us 
Can’t win a losing battle
Can’t fight if you are not even looking up
You had no intention of saving this ship
We were truly doomed and you did not even look back to see the damage

You were pages ahead in this twisted tale 
I was just a bystander in the end
Watching as you took it all away from me
The memories snapped into pictures existed now as only memories 
The kindness in your eyes had died
That look I used to fear was now the constant


I cry because I miss it
I cry because I thought it was deeper than it ever was
It was only ever surface level and that hurts to accept
I gave myself to you 
Fully and unapologetically 
And you didn’t even pick it up
Not really 
Not really

I tried 
I always met you halfway
I did all I could 
I was not always right but I did try 

I will just have to stop looking over my shoulder
You were never behind me 
You were never trying to catch me up
We weren’t even on the same page

Our story has been written
The ending was abrupt but coming 
Just like the rings in the boxes hidden out of sight
The pictures boxed up and never to see the light
We are done 
It will take some time to really move passed it all
But that is the only path I have 

KP nuts
Over and out 
Lights out 
Door closed 

No comments:

Post a Comment