Saturday 30 December 2023

The final act

And for this final act 
Turn on all of the lights 
Don’t let any shadows form on this stage 
For now the plot is revealed 
Finally we hit the penultimate moments of this wretched tragedy 
We all assumed it was such a love story to start with 
But the sheep’s wool soon fell down to reveal that wolf 

So now as the final lines are revealed 
The reality of this truth fills the room with a fog 
We can barely take in our breath 

We keep thinking back to the big W day 
To the first and second house thinking surely they were built to last 
Like an old Welsh cottage 
Through all those storms and winds

Not this one however 
This was built on lies and deceit 
This was built without a thought for the future 
Especially after the C arrived and spoilt plans
Took us all on a detour that did 
Especially for me 
I felt utterly heartbroken at the news 

But I kept going 
I dug deeper 
I had so many lies under my nails from fighting for our marriage
You had so much hidden in cupboards it became overwhelming 
What did you want to me to do
Scream? Hurt myself? Cry out for you?
You might’ve been sat in front of me but emotionally you had packed up and left us months ago 

I won’t believe that you did this rushed but also I don’t think it’s been for as long as you tell yourself 
I think me becoming ill was your final nail 
For me it was the start of the unravelling of torn seams left strewn from so many years of botched jobs fixing it in different colours of material 
Trying to turn our demise into a fashion piece
To be an idol to the way society was heading 
Smile for the gram but cover the reality of emptiness

For that’s all you ever were 
Nothing I ever loved 
I was fooled 
You got me 
Like a silly joke you play on kids 
But this was my life 
My health my heart and my present 
All flipped up like a badly arranged dinner table 
You had created an arrangement that made my muscles ache and my feelings hurt 
You had turned me into a blank expressionless person 
I can never forget it 

It will take time to move past this
But I assure you as the curtains are drawn and the cast take their final bow we are pleased this run is over 
The audience leaves with a lump in their throat as they grieve what could have been 
Had this been a fantasy 
For you were never real 

You had written the story as you did daily 
And when you got bored with the character, me 
You ripped it all up and started again 

No comments:

Post a Comment