Thursday 9 November 2023

This too shall pass

Today was the end of a long time coming 
I can recall the whole ordeal like a distorted scary movie you saw as a youngster that never left your mind 
The dates the expressions, the punchy one liners after diagnosis to the white noise that squealed so loud my ears bled after the separation 
The days that hit me so hard, that I didn’t think I’d ever see the light again in that tunnel 
The tunnel… had never been so long 
And to walk it alone is not easy 

Over these months though my fears I had have diminished 
Blood tests, weight being measured, admissions to hospitals, needles, pain, fatigue, nausea, dehydration, facing mortality, isolation, financial struggles, abandonment, separation, losing parts of your body and battling with parts of your mind 
The side effects varied 
Peripheral neuropathy and morphine were never what I’d known about until this time 


This year has been endless and yet this part is done
This year has broken me 
Yet today I rang the bell for completion 
My emotions are lost in a cluster fcuk of thoughts emotions bewilderment and anger 
They can’t be, because I’m feeling it all simultaneously 
They can’t escape because I’m locked up 

What is all this nonsense 
How was this ever possible 
How have I done it
How did I carry on 
This is not a battle with cancer 
This is a war with yourself 
You have to trust fast and dig so deep your hands will never heal from the dragging of ruins below you 
The hole is dark and you are covered in all the scars and pain and poison flows around your body like a power cut on your health 
You have to witness your appearance change in ways no Snapchat filter could ever really prepare you for 
You have to watch the fear and pain deepen and embed in everyone you knows eyes
You have to drag yourself out of bed in agony you could never describe to just shower and eat 
You can’t keep your breath at 36 when you’ve spent 3 years lifting weights 
You get dizzy making a coffee 
Too much is taken but you sign the contracts and you accept the consequences because life is important 

Yes it’s a new world for me now 
Yes it’s a new process 
Plans will not be as they once were and patience is my new religion 
I am being kind to myself because I have to be, yet, I mourn my previous life and body 
My path is different but it’s the clearest path I’ve ever seen 
My life is different but it is what it is, and I will live it to the full 
My heart is hurt, but will heal 
My bodies scarred, but is stronger 
My mind is baffled, but is finding the answers and the storage for processing and moving forward 
 
Today marked the end of 8 cycles of chemo 
Four EC with 4 admissions
Four Paclitaxal with 2 admissions 
Picc Line in and then out 
Blood results were up every test, even when I caught Covid 
Weight gained but due to meds
Codeine and morphine for pain 
I rang the bell today 
And I am proud of myself 
Because after all the fear tears and sleepless nights 
I’m at the light in this tunnel 
I’ve got respite to come and then I go again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment