Wednesday 2 October 2013

These Streets Will Never Change

Walking down the streets that we know so well
watching the leaves collect on the floor in heaps
turn off our music and listen to the beats of the life around us
take it all in, long and deep breaths 

Catching that look of that stranger over there
smile back, as they try not to glare
try your best to keep your eyes level
don't whatever you do give in to the floor

The traffic is slowing as the day hits rush hour
people just gather and appear from nowhere
there are cars all around you, hustling and bustling
impatiently queuing and huffing and puffing

The lights change to green and off goes the traffic
faster and faster they climb in their paces
music and chatter and texting and thinking
blocking out the life, blocking out the calm

I just sit on this bench and I take it all in
and I breathe in the smells of the food and this evening
and I watch people swerve past at the quickest of hurries 
with there places to go and the places to see

I get up brush myself off and start to walk myself home
the sun has gone in and the night has surrounded us
I walk past chippys and bus stops and rowdy public houses
people chatting, and laughing and getting on with their evening

I put in my headphones, turn on the Ipod and start listening to my music
blocking out buses and cars and passers by
walking the streets that I know so well
shuffling through the leaves on the pathway below

No comments:

Post a Comment