Wednesday 1 May 2024

When is it enough?

Take away my sanity and leave me be 
Take away my filter and let me bleed
Don’t try to stop this rage you see forming 
Let it spill over and drown my surrounding 
Let me cry until I’m sick 
And when I’m sick let me cry again 
For all this trauma has left a feeling 
A feeling I cannot shift
It weighs me down like heavy shopping 
I’m starting to wonder what I’m even carrying 
Put down the bags and go through it all
Get rid of that, which doesn’t serve me 
That curbs appetite or causes sickness
Check dates and ask how long I really have 
Will I even want it when the time comes 
Choose what I like not what they say I should
Then condense it
10 bags become 5 bags become 1
Stand up and look at all that baggage I didn’t need
Those feelings that did not relate to me
That behaviour was not my fault
My illness was not my doing 


As I leave the store of my life 
The existence I have observed and witnessed has been overlooked at times 
Some of the hardest memories swarm me at nights I cannot sleep 

The treatment I have endured was the making of me 
Through that line pumping poison around every inch of my body came gratitude and clarity 
It opened my eyes to realities I had ignored
It made me choose me 
The days I felt like I was fading away 
So pale I was barely seen or recognised 
The comfort and securities of life packed up and left 
I was left in pain I could never write 
My body was fighting whilst being fought 
I was drowning whilst helplessly blowing up armbands 

I will never forget the smell, or the sensation of chemo entering my once healthy body 
The insomnia and pain 
The inability to do anything 

So now I walk away with my bag 
Only what I need 
Life is all about only what you need 
Mortality is real 
Life will end
What do I really need 
What should I really carry 
What serves me 
What enlightens me 
What helps me see the calm through a storm 
Healing when broken 
The light when lost 

Me 
It was always me
And only in that moment of my diagnosis 
And only in that moment of scans 
Lying in mris, rts or ct machines
Veins being pumped with dyes and poison and antibiotics
Injections daily 
Medications so high it was endless
It was me 
I kept going 
I didn’t give in 
I had to talk myself into every round 
It was always me 


No comments:

Post a Comment