Saturday 4 May 2024

As the day falls

What is left to collect
Like a party full of guests a table full of glasses
Tell me what to clear away
Tell me what to get rid of 

The place used to look so white and clean 
These days it’s stained in a colour I cannot shift
A life that’s been and left pain all over the place
A life that was reeling happiness and potential is now struggling to breathe in the waves of the sea

Such a long time 
Memories spilling over the sides 
Continuously drowning my hopes and dreams with moments in time 
Moments I cannot seem to shed 
Shed so that I can re build 

Telling everyone you met that you were a fraud 
A fake it till you make it but fake it forever type person 
Like you could never step out of place
That it must have been me 
When it’s written all over your face 
Etched in like a tattoo 
You told me you were happy 
You told me that we would be ok 
You told me that it was forever
When I got the news you told me in sickness and in health 
Cancer they said 
As I stared into the blankness as my mind looked for the words
Cancer
In my breast 
For a while
Surgery and treatment 
The mat was pulled from below me 
I could barely make eye contact
But you told me you would be there 
As I say numbed like anaesthetic 
You told me you would be there 
I believed you 
I trusted you 
But you left me 
You left me alone so much 
I blamed myself for the C
I tried so hard to be attractive 
So hard to be me 
The me before this took over my body
Took over my health 
Took over me 

As the days fell
So did our relationship 
Our wedding day memories became foggy
The promises we made on holidays 
As we flew into new countries
As we decorated houses
As we created our life 

Cancer just took it all
All your promises
All our plans and future wishes


I lay here 
My mind searching through the years of moments 
Moments of happiness and joy
Moments of heartbreak 
Moments of triumph and achievement
Moments of despair 

As we lay it to rest
Divorce on the horizon 
All those stages of trying to create a unit
A unit that crumbled
A unit that died

No comments:

Post a Comment