Sunday 18 August 2024

Three generations

Three generations 
All under one roof
All living out lives
All avoiding the bumps
The bumps in the roads as they endure life
The bumps in the road that bring along grief
The bumps in the road of mixed up feelings 
Of health outcomes
Of love loss and pain 

Three generations 
It ends with me 
I can’t reproduce or continue this line 
It was never my destiny 
But I think so hard
About those above me 
About the generations that had bad days
And how they continued to breathe
I think about the lives they may have led
And how hard it might have been 
Of losing loved ones young 
Of battling through adversity
Of the constant house changes
The constant school changes
The new girl narrative
The long walks to school
The tough lessons in different times
Being out late and hitchhiking home
To not being allowed out at all
To being evacuated
To living far away from home
To running down that field behind that unfamiliar place
And watching the trains as they passed by
Waving and crying 
Missing and hoping
Life being so unsettling

Three generations 
All under one roof
Each with a story
And each with a book
Each with its hard times
And each with its tough lessons
Each with its loss 
Each with its first love
And some with its last
Grief and pain and despair
But all still here
Never gave up
Kept the fight for life
Brought into the world the next life
The next generation
That ends with me

Strong women 
Never walked from a fight 
Never gave up any battle
Lived and loved life
I will carry the lessons learned
I will stand proud and tall
And although I won’t pass it on 
I will not let it fall
To the waste side 
To be forgotten 
It will forever exist
Through the stories 
The memories
And our hard fought fights for life 

No comments:

Post a Comment