Saturday 6 March 2021

nothing left to say really

When all is said and done
We do not have anything left really, do we
The stage is silent and the crowd starts to stand up and leave 
The room is left with a sense that life had been here
The smells of sweet perfume and happiness surrounds the curtains as they are drawn and another night is ticked off the list 

Theatre at its best 
Just one beautiful performance after another 
The acting is on point and the emotion fills our hearts with that thrill of live work 
We are enamored by the reality in front of us 
Children scream at the sight of Father Christmas or childhood books 
We all love to say "it's behind you"
Shivering with excitement at the whole spectacular atmosphere 


It never gets old
In my thirties I still smile until my face aches 
I enjoy the pantomime and the cheers and boos 

When I sit here typing up my memories into a box 
I feel still
Still and blank
The etch a sketch is empty and I have nothing to draw
Almost 12 months on after one of the most heartbreaking and mind-blowing experiences 
To pay witness to a death toll that exceed 100 before we could process it 
Face masks and sanitiser shortages 
Scared to hug and banned from family
Banned from existence in the only way we knew 
Banned from the cheers and the boos 
From the laughter and family times
From the large audiences 
Smiles and ice cream 
Nothing but silenced expressions hidden behind face masks and health fears

Oh I grieve 
I grieve it all
One day
One day soon
The dates will be counted down
Calendars full of meaning and forward planning
When all is closed until further notice
There's nothing left to say, really

No comments:

Post a Comment